PTO October Minutes 2016

PTO Meeting

October 20 ,  2016 / 6:00 PM


  1. The meeting was called to order by PTO President Shilo Gennaro and opened with a prayer. Minutes of the September meeting were read and approved.


Principal’s Report

  1. Jennifer Simmons, St. Malachy Principal reported that the most recently  purchased additional Chromebooks are up and running in the classrooms .
  1. NCEA funding expected from the public school budget has been reduced to $3500 and $2700 of that will be used for lodging.  $2200 is needed for early bird registration.  Mrs. Simmons is asking for the PTO to cover this cost.  A motion was made to approve this expense and seconded.  Motion carried.
  2. Bishop Pates will visit the school November 9th.  He will celebrate mass with the whole school and have lunch.  All the details of his visit have not been worked out but we are very excited to have him visit our school.
  3. St. Malachy will be hosting a Science Technology Engineering & Math Festival on November 10th from 5:30-7:30.  STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.  Families are encouraged to come and try out different types of STEM activities.  We will have people here from different STEM industries such as: automotive, veterinary science, x-ray/ultrasound, EMS, robotics, computer science and many more.
  4. St. Malachy’s 2nd annual Muffins with Moms will be on Tuesday, November 15th from 7:30-8am. RSVPs will be going out soon.
  5. A wish list item from the teachers is a rolling cart that would hold 36” bulletin board paper rolls.  We will look into costs for this item.

Treasurer’s Report

  1. The balance is $19,555 as of October 1st. All expenses from the 1st annual Creston Color Run have been accounted for at this time.

New Business

  1. Teachers Brea Steinkamp and Kim Cline reported on the poor condition of the carnival games that the Civics Club uses for the Spaghetti Supper and the Food Fair carnival.  Many of the games are broken and quite old.  They have worked to repair and update the current games as best they can.  Several of the 8th grade boys have worked very hard to make the games usable for this year’s Spaghetti Supper carnival but some new games really need to be purchased.   After some discussion we voted to give the Civics Club a budget of $1000 to repair, replace and purchase games.
  2. Next event for PTO will be the Spaghetti Supper on October 22.  Lesha Clark and Abbey Clayton are the co-chairs this year.  All the volunteer spots and food needed sign up spots are filled and we hope to have another successful event this weekend.
  3. The PTO will be taking orders for this year’s gear at the Spaghetti Supper and at Parent-Teachers Conferences in November.
  4. Shilo will be sending out a Signup Genius for food for the teachers during Parent-Teachers Conferences.
  5. Our Holiday Vendor Fair will be November 19th at St Malachy school.  Heather Burwell has contacted vendors and is working on getting information out.  Contact her if you would like to get involved with that.
  6. Leslie Wurster reported on some ideas that she has for marketing and recruitment.  She is a member of the Union County Development Association and they are doing some restructuring and will possibly have an area in their office for selling Creston Panther Booster Club gear and she thinks they would let us have items available for sale there too.  We also discussed the possibility of having items available to sale at The Rectory Rerun shop.  We will discuss this with Fr. Halbur when he returns from vacation.

She also talked about yard signs to show our pride in being St. Malachy families.  She has found a vendor to make 2 sided color printed yard signs for a reasonable price.  She is willing to personally contribute enough money to buy one for each school family..  These would also be available for sale as a possible ongoing fundraiser.  All present were open to this idea and want Leslie to pursue it.


Thank you to Megan Pellman and Haley Simmons for providing child care during the meeting.

Meeting was adjourned by unanimous vote.  Next meeting is Nov 17 @ 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM.