January 19 , 2017 / 6:00 PM
- The meeting was called to order by PTO President Shilo Gennaro and opened with a prayer. Minutes were read and approved.
Jennifer Simmons, St. Malachy Principal reported that the most recently purchased additional Chromebooks are up and running in the classrooms . There are 94 total in use for students on a 1:1 basis.
- The teachers and staff have been hard at work planning Catholic schools week activities. There will be staff appreciation day, student appreciation day, community day with a Area Business coffee, school wide Talent show and Grandparents/Special guest day just to name a few of the fun activities. Catholic Schools week is Jan 29. – Feb. 3 this year.
- The 6th graders wrote and recorded ads that will be aired during Catholic Schools Week. There is also an insert written by Miss Steinkamp’s 8th graders that will go out in the Creston News Advertiser and the Shopper that week. It is a great way to let the community know about our school.
- The balance is $19,555 as of October 1st.
- There were some items left over from the teacher’s wish lists at Christmas time. We voted to purchase the remaining items. Shilo will work with Mrs Simmons on this.
- Fr. Ken Halbur gave a presentation about the planned school expansion project. This expansion will connect all the current buildings as well as add 4 additional classrooms. Two of the rooms will be for an expansion of our preschool/early childhood program. This area will have it’s own entrance and bathrooms. The other classroom will be for music/band. The fourth classroom could have multiple uses including art and increased storage areas. Part of this building will be a storm shelter for the whole school. The shelter will meet FEMA guidelines and standards. Bids have been called for and decisions will be made this week. The project’s budget is $800,000. A fundraising process is in place and is already starting to raise funds. Many of the funds will be raised thru grants as well. The plan is to be able to start construction this spring.
- Next event for the PTO is the Sunday Brunch after mass on Jan 29 at Holy Spirit Parish. We need volunteers to make breakfast casseroles on Saturday and get the other groceries for the brunch. We also need so people to help serve and clean up. Lora & Shilo will take care of the cooking. We will make phone calls to find the other volunteers.
- The PTO also takes care of covering the school during the lunch hour on Monday of Catholic Schools Week so that the teachers and all the staff can go to lunch for Staff Appreciation Day. Shilo will be sending out a Signup Genius for volunteers to cover the classrooms from 11:15 to 1 pm. The students will eat sack lunch with their Advent Angels then go back to the classrooms to watch a movie.
- We discussed possible dates for the 2nd Annual Trivia Night fundraiser. After much discussion we decided that it needed to be in February because the Auction is the first Saturday in March and then we get into Spring Break and conferences. February 25th was chosen as the day. Staci Pokorny will talk to the Lobby about using their room. Lora will email Beth Kulow and Kiki Scarberry to see if they are interested in helping with the event again this year. Shilo will talk to Fr. Ken about being our Rule’s person that night.
Thank you to Megan Pellman and Haley Simmons for providing child care during the meeting.
Meeting was adjourned by unanimous vote. Next meeting is Feb 16, 2017 @ 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM.